Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fellowship Gallery Essay Art helps to Heal


The artist name "Allen" born in Greenwich Connecticut. He was a teacher. Allen fell in to the mental health life in adult hood. He teaches art till this day. Allen loves to paint and is the clown of the art therapy class. I chose Allen's work because of his signature style . The black lines though the picture , I have seen in many of his work.
Placing the picture on it side is a style of his also. My personal experience with his work is that I some times get confused in what he is painting, Although I am in tuned with residents that I serve,often what they are thinking is not how thy express it.I place his work in expression style.
Many mental patients only can express their emotions though art. Art gives them a sense of accomplishment and social interaction with other artist. The open art studio of Fellowship gives artist a way to sell art and feel like a part of "normal" society.

2 comments:

  1. Is Fellowship Gallery in New Haven? Do you work there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fellowship Gallery is on Elm Street. What happens is that they have special viewing at different times of the year. They also show art with open art studio of New Haven. I bring my clients there for Art , social time .

    ReplyDelete

Followers