Wednesday, March 11, 2009

William Dyce the Artist



William Dyce painted this picture Pegwell Bay, Kent "Endless Forums" Charles Darwin Natural Science and Visual Arts . This show is at the Yale Arts Center for British Arts. William Dyce painted this oil painting canvas painting 1858. He was born in Scotland on the romantic day of febuary 14. in London. Dyce is known as a distinged artist that was very influential educating the public to art in London . He was able to start his art career in London and then travel to Rome . He studied the " Titan and Poussin. He traveled to Germany and France while in these traves he came across artist such as Fredrich and Over Beck.

Pegwell Bay is a beautiful picture that William Dyce painted. The result of a trip made in the fall of 1858, to a getaway resort in Pegwell Bay came the Pegwell painting. In this famous picture features members f his family picking up fossils by the sea. William Dye shows great interest on the geology by his collection data , and "of the flint - encrusted strait eroded faces of the chalk cliffs"(Hermes, Pre Raphealite Art, 2009) William Dyce works are a realist work .



I see in this picture a cross road between science ans man ultimate reality . I see height in this picture from the natural stone walls to the right of the picture. There is also a dis play of balance with the sky. This amazing picture seems almost three dimensional.
I see in the picture a balance of color lighter in some parts , then bright colors to show the purpose of the people.
My personal experience with this almost a connection with my own thoughts about man, religion and science. As I looked into the picture I looked back at myself. The history on man is in all of us . This picture almost is like a cd of time . I thought of the digital dark ages that we are in and said to myself , this is what it means when people say" a picture is worth a thousand words".
A historical journey is what I can see in this picture .
What stands out to me mostly in this picture are the people. Not he frame , not the sky just the people. The artist used smaller detail in the picture on the bottom of the painting and them larger objects to the back. This artist Dyce, gives great detail of natural carving in the stone and sea sides. Pegwell Bay shallow inlet is shown in the painting. The natural resource shows the waders and wildfowl with mudflates and saltmarsh.
I felt that this painting fell in to the expressison style. In some points though there are no religious icons , I felt that this secular work has some religious meaning. Nature reflects God and ultimate reality.

3 comments:

  1. Monica,

    Do you have photos of your visit to the YCBA? Do you see all of the mis-spellings? You should write this in Word, then use spell check to proof it... then you can cut and paste it into the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry I told you yesterday to check in with me on friday . I was under reconstruction. Thanks for helping me.....
    I would like you to re visit me tomorrow. I had trouble with my pictures and will post them thanks

    ReplyDelete

Followers