Thursday, March 12, 2009

William Glackens "Julia's Sister"




William Glakens 1915 oil painting oil painting is a realist art piece. He was born in the United
States and studied at he Pennsylvania Academy of Art in to New York
City. He helped start Ascha School Art Movement . Glakens was a part of a group called "The
Eight".This is what he press called them . This movement went against the early art work. His signature works included Over sized dark painting . Later he began to include color in his work. All of his work seemed to show reality of times in life. Critics seemed to think his work was similar to Renoir. Life portral in his painting made some critics compare him to Pascin.Some even thought he was am imitation of Pascin.
The meaning of the Painting "Julia Sister" was to picture showed some rebellion of the movement of art. In the 1900's the women movement began and looking at "Julia Sister" really showed(factitious ) that women were on the move to take charge . That meant not only was art rebelling but, so were women. The medium of the work are right on point. Liseners or viewers of the work as I saw it can see that the artist wanted us to see the stregth and attitude in women.
My personal experience with this painting at first I was amazed at how much lipstick was placed on the women's lips. Then I began to see the color of the hair, red have been covered by a hat but to the side the fiery red hair made me see that this women was mad about something . If you look at the arm placed almost on her hip it showed that something is on her mind. I thought sometime I felt the same way. I just always hide my feelings. This picture showed much beauty , into the back ground , very famine picture . I think I related to this mode ]remism picture by self Identification, or with her because I am famine .I wondered what was on her mine.Was it women's rights?The Feminism are history probably was influenced by painting like this. The wide variety of issues such as gender bias are reflected in this paining . Most of all that I got out of this art experience was the understanding that are influences society. Many times I have heard on T.V. about art being an expression. I have never really understood it until now. I think not being exposed to much in my life closed me out of the art world.
This rich color of work has an over tone of darkness. I see alot of female lace , curves, flowers.
placed on the hat of the women , even the chair that she sits on is feminine . The placement in the painting of the woman in the center meant that women in the painting meant the she was the most important . Every other object in the painting seemed small. It was almost like the flowers just enhanced her more . She was the center of attraction. I tried to find out who Julia was since this was her sister. It was not Glacken wife's sister because her name was Eeith Dimock an artist as well.

1 comment:

  1. I did a search to see that this painting is in a special show at the New Britain Museum of Art....

    The Ash Can School "The artists of the Ashcan School rebelled against the genteel American Impressionism that represented the vanguard of American art at the time. Their works, generally dark in tone, captured the spontaneous moments of life and often depicted such subjects as prostitutes, drunks, butchered pigs, overflowing tenements with laundry hanging on lines, boxing matches, and wrestlers. It was their frequent, although not total, focus upon poverty and the daily realities of urban life that prompted American critics to consider them the fringe of modern art."

    -Wikipedia article...

    ReplyDelete

Followers